Robert Reed owned a house and lot in the town of Staunton, Virginia and more than 800 acres of land adjoining the town at the time of his death in 1787. Robert Reed and Margaret (Cunningham) Reed had no children. Margaret Reed later married Gen. George Matthews but this marriage was dissolved. After considerable litigation with the children of Robert Reed’s brother, the widow Margaret Reed inherited her late husband’s property. The tracts of land adjoining the town of Staunton were of the original Beverley Grant. Two of these parcels were conveyed together in 1810 by Margaret Reed to John Howe Peyton. These lands, combined with additional tracts acquired by Peyton, would eventually be known as Montgomery Hall. Margaret Reed died in 1827.